- Start your trip off right by exploring the vibrant markets of Johannesburg. Visit the Rosebank Rooftop Market for some amazing street food and handcrafted goods. Then head over to Maboneng Precinct for some great shopping, art galleries, and live music.
- Today you’ll be taking a tour of Soweto, one of the most famous townships in South Africa. Visit the Hector Pieterson Memorial and Museum to learn about the history of apartheid in South Africa. Then take a stroll through Vilakazi Street, the only street in the world to have produced two Nobel Prize winners.
- Today you’ll be exploring Johannesburg’s nature reserves. Head to Lion Park for an up-close look at some of South Africa’s most iconic wildlife. Then take a hike through Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden to explore its stunning landscape.
- Today you’ll be taking a trip to Apartheid Museum to learn more about South Africa’s history. Afterward, visit the Constitution Hill Human Rights Precinct to see where Nelson Mandela was held prisoner during apartheid.
- Today you’ll be heading out on an adventure! Start off with a zip line tour at Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa before heading to Magaliesberg for some rock climbing and rappelling. Then take a sunset safari through Pilanesberg National Park to spot some wild animals.
- Today you’ll be exploring Johannesburg’s cultural side. Visit the Apartheid Museum again for a guided tour and then head over to Wits Art Museum for some amazing contemporary art. End your day at Newtown Cultural Precinct for some live music and theater performances.
- Spend your last day in Johannesburg exploring its vibrant neighborhoods. Start off at Melville for some great restaurants and bars before heading over to Braamfontein for some shopping and nightlife. End your trip with a visit to Maboneng Precinct for some live music and art galleries.
Rosebank Rooftop Market – Try the freshly grilled boerewors (sausage) or samosas
Maboneng Precinct – Have lunch at The Bioscope for their delicious burgers
Vilakazi Street – Enjoy dinner at Nambitha Restaurant for their traditional African dishes
Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden – Stop by The Wild Fig Cafe for some light snacks
Apartheid Museum – Have lunch at Freedom Cafe for their tasty sandwiches
Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa – Enjoy dinner at The Grill Room Restaurant for their amazing steaks
Magaliesberg – Grab some lunch at The Magaliesberg Country Kitchen
Pilanesberg National Park – Have dinner at Bakubung Bush Lodge Restaurant for their delicious game meat dishes
Wits Art Museum – Have lunch at The Eatery on Juta Street for their tasty salads
Newtown Cultural Precinct – Enjoy dinner at Tribes African Cuisine Restaurant for their traditional African dishes
Melville – Grab some snacks at The Apartment Bar & Lounge
Braamfontein – Have dinner at The Wombats Gastropub for their delicious burgers
WHERE TO STAY:
For this 7-day trip, we recommend staying in two different locations so that you can explore both sides of Johannesburg. For the first half of your trip, stay at The Residence Boutique Hotel in Rosebank as it is close to many of Johannesburg’s attractions and offers great amenities like a rooftop pool and bar. For the second half of your trip, stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch as it is conveniently located near many of Johannesburg’s nightlife spots and offers excellent amenities like an outdoor pool and spa.