• Start your morning off with a visit to the Alcázar de Colón, a palace built for Christopher Columbus’ son in 1510. Take a guided tour to learn about the history of this incredible structure.
• Afterward, explore the cobblestone streets and colorful buildings of Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo’s historic district. Stop into some of the local shops and markets to find unique souvenirs and taste traditional Dominican cuisine.
• Spend the afternoon relaxing on Montesinos Beach, located just outside of the city. Enjoy a refreshing swim in the Caribbean Sea or take a leisurely stroll along the shore.
• End your day with dinner at La Casa de Tostado, a cozy restaurant serving up delicious Dominican dishes like mofongo and sancocho.
• La Casa de Tostado: Try their signature mofongo – crispy plantains mashed with garlic, olive oil, and pork crackling – and their classic sancocho stew made with beef, chicken, and vegetables.
WHERE TO STAY:
For your one-day trip to Santo Domingo, you may want to consider staying at the Hotel Doña Elvira. Located in the heart of Zona Colonial, this hotel is within walking distance of many of Santo Domingo’s most popular attractions. The hotel also offers amenities like an outdoor pool and free Wi-Fi.